Thursday, August 12, 2010

First Trip to the ER

Monday morning I heard a scream from Jackson's playroom and I went running to see what had happened. I freaked out when I saw a gash in Jackson's head and lots of blood. It's one thing when it's someone else or yourself, but when it's your baby......
Scott did not think it was deep enough for stitches so we did not go to the ER right away, but reconsidered later that evening. It was deep and he ended up getting 4 stitches. The doc convinced me that giving him a mild sedative (Ketamine) would be harmless so we did so it would be less traumatic for Jackson (and me). A few minutes after the sedative kicked in Jackson stopped breathing and started turning white. I quickly drew this to the doctor's attention and they had to open his airways and give him oxygen. It scared me so bad because I did not know what was going on. Later the doc told us that he had never seen a child react that way (hypoxia) to Ketamine. Well you better believe we will think long and hard before we ever give him a "harmless" drug again!
My sweet sweet baby boy dazed.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh no! Poor Jackson! Unfornunately I know how you feel...just yesterday Karli cut her arm on a barbed wire fence and I had to take her to the ER and she got 7 stitches to sew it up! It is so scary when they get hurt! But thats especially scary when the drugs affect them badly! So sorry about that! Hope he heals quickly! Miss you girl and think of you often!

Holly-- The Storm Chaser said...

Bless his heart! And yours! I know that must have scared you to death. Hope he's feeling great soon. Take care!

Candice said...

Seriously, holy cow! I would be freaking out! About the cut and the drug reaction. Wow! Hope he's healing quickly! What did he whack his head on?

Jamie said...

Hey Rachel! It's Jamie, the Makeup artist from Raegans wedding! I found your blog by chance when I googled Kickstand Studios looking to see if they posted wedding pics yet! I know you were scared with Jackson..I would have been freaking out too if it were my little man! Glad he's ok! Hope you're doing well!